Workshop in Berlin by Borut Peterlin
WHAT? Group Workshop in Wet Plate Collodion Negative, Salt Printing and Albumen Printing
WHERE? Berlin in Christian Klant‘s studio
WHEN? 16th-19th of Jully 2014
WHO? It’s intended for experienced ambrotypists and tintypists who wants to take new step into the world of negatives and prints.
HOW MUCH? Four days workshop costs 600 EUR and that includes all material cost and most importantly taxes. It does not include food and accommodation.
APPLICATION? The workshop is limited to five participants, so please hurry if you are interested by sending an email to email@example.com
– Introduction to the processes the difference between wet plate collodion positive and negative
– Reviewing examples of negatives and prints we are expected to be making during the workshop
– Preparation of chemistry and cleaning plates
– The making of the first wet plate negatives
– Participants will learn how to make different densities of wet plate negatives
– How to redevelop a negative
– What light is appropriate for wet plate negative and how to work in inappropriate light
– Practicing a wet plate negative on still life
– Making a portrait with ambient light
– Making a portrait with studio flashes
– Varnishing glass negatives
– Making more negatives. The goal is that each participant will make several negatives with different densities for different printing processes.
– Varnishing glass plates
– Preparing albumen for printing process
– Preparing gelatin for salt print process
– Seizing paper for salt print process
– Seizing paper for albumen print process
– Demonstration of salt and albumen printing process
– Salt printing
– Albumen printing
– Toning with goldchloride
– Waxing salt prints
– Silver Nitrate bath maintenance (boiling with baking soda, filtering, adjusting pH,…)
– Demonstration of dry collodion negative & Carbon Process
Each participant will receive few pages of notes with all receipts and most important points to remember.